The third Monday of every January commemorates the birth and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. King's birthday is January 15, 1929. This year MLK day falls on January 18. We celebrate his legacy and should take this day to participate in Service and educational events. Below are some events that will take place in two prominent MLK cities. One of these cities being, Memphis,TN, the home of the National Civil Rights Museum, (original location of hotel where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was slain). The other city is Atlanta, GA. This is where Dr. King's living memorial rests, also where he grew up, attended college, preached, and established a lot of his non-violence work.
- 1/16-1/18 Volunteer with "Hands on Atlanta"
- Imagination Children's Museum will hold a MLK Day Celebration, which will include the creation of a "Cloud of Dreams Wall Mural"
- Visit the King Center for a MLK DAY celebration and discounts on Admission
- Ebenezer Church will hold its annual celebration with several notable public speakers
- 1/18- Morehouse College Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
Help Construct the Mo' Better Food Educational Park / Farm
Volunteers are needed from 9:00 am- 6:00 p.m.
- Clayton State University in Morrow, Georgia (South of Atlanta) will hold its Annual Freedom Run 5k and 10K
- Hosea Feed the Hungry will also be accepting volunteers for several different projects throughout the city (www.hoseafeedthehungry.com)
- 1/16- National Civil Rights Museum: MLK Youth Day 10am-2pm for ages 3-10, festivities will include art, music, games and a birthday cake
- 1/18- National Civil Rights Museum: $2 admission 8am-6pm, will include live music, speeches, and drama performances
- 1/18- Children's Museum of Memphis 10am-3pm MLK Birthday Party, will include face painting, arts, crafts, excerpts from Dr. King's speeches, and a "Peace Quilt"
- 1/18- Memphis Grizzlies vs. Phoenix Suns special MLK game that will be nationally televised
1 p.m. - MLK Jr. Day High School Classic (Melrose Golden Wildcats vs. Germantown Red Devils)
3 p.m. - Martin Luther King Jr. Day Sports Legacy Symposium presented by the Hyde Family Foundation featuring Oscar Robertson and Alonzo Mourning
4:30 p.m. - Memphis Grizzlies vs. Phoenix Suns - This game will be televised on the TNT cable network.
To kick off your Holiday with a bang, for those of you who do not have to work on Monday and will be in Atlanta, check out this party. Some of the proceeds will be donated to a worthy cause. Nothing wrong with having some fun. It is an all black affair, come network with some of Atlanta's finest. Not to Mention, I will be there!
If you come and you're on twitter, follow us www.twitter.com/TalkstillCheap.com. I may post some pics of the party on the site. View flyer for more information.
If you know of anymore events and volunteer opportunities please feel free to post the information as a comment for this post. If you ever have any volunteer/service opportunities you would like to share, ALWAYS contact me. I'd love to post it for you.