Wednesday, January 13, 2010
AiD for HaIti
On Tuesday, January 12, 2010 Haiti was hit with the strongest earthquake to hit the nation in over 200 years. It is said to have left damages worse than a war zone. Haiti is the western Hemisphere's poorest country. The earthquake has affected over 3 million people, in a country that has a population of about 9 million. The earthquake hit several homes and buildings, including the National Palace (which is now crumbled), and the Headquarters of U.N. Peacekeepers. Tens of thousands have lost their homes and the death toll has reached over 100,000. Citizens have piled bodies along the streets of the capital, and some still cry out when bodies are discovered under collapsed buildings. Several peacekeepers from other countries, such as Brazil and China, have also died or been injured, due to the earthquake.
Due to the devastation of many buildings, including hospitals, a lot of the victims can not be helped due to the limited resources. Airports have now been opened to recieve aid. The U.S. has offered its full assistance. Food, water, and aid is tremendously needed.
NOT EVERYONE CAN DO EVERYTHING, BUT EVERYONE CAN DO SOMETHING! Here are some ways you can help, near and far. Know someone in Haiti? You can also use the below information to try and track them down. Please spread the word and share this information with all you can. Check the ways you can contribute Below.
How you can help!
- Send a text to his Haitian charity, Yele, to donate $5 to the savaged country. (The number is 501501.)
- Donate $10 to the Red Cross. Text “Haiti” to the number 90999.
- The American Red Cross also is accepting donations through their International Response Fund. Donations can be sent to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013 or made by phone at 1-800-REDCROSS or 1-800-257-7575
- Donate at savethechildren.org or make checks out to "Save the Children" and mail to: Save the Children Income Processing Department, 54 Wilton Road, Westport, Conn. 06880
- UNICEF. Go online to unicefusa.org/haitiquake or call (800) 4UNICEF
- Direct Relief International. Donate online at directrelief.org.
- Mercy Corp. Go online to mercycorps.org or mail checks to Haiti Earthquake Fund, Dept. NR, PO Box 2669, Portland, Ore. 97208 or call (888) 256-1900
- To find information about friends and family in Haiti: The U.S. State Department set up a toll-free number to call for information about family members in Haiti: 1-888-407-4747.
PRAY FOR HAITI